Content and Overview
Alternatively to the older 22.214.171.124.1 Legacy Key Value / PreSet Targeting you can use the improved logic of Adserver Targeting described below, which makes especially the handling of Audience Segments much easier. You can set it up by adding the Key Value and Audience Segments columns via 126.96.36.199 Tab Setup.
Open your line item in the media configurator and navigate to the Tab: Audience.
- The Key Values column can be used to edit Keys & Values for your digital items. Click the edit button to modify the targeting or the clear button to remove all configured targeting
- The Audience Segments column can be used to modify Segment Targeting for Xandr or Audience Items for Freewheel.
- For Google AdManager Audience Segments are also handled via the Key Value Targeting, so you will only need that one column displayed.
Once you selected some targeting criteria, it will be shown in the field:
Click the edit button to start modifying. This will open a new window that if nothing has been previously selected look like this:
- To start click on Add Group to create a new group.
1. How to edit values
Both editors (key values and audience segments) will look similar but pull different data in the background.
1.1 Enter Key Values/Presets
- Click on the Edit button (2). This opens the tree view on the right. (If you choose key values (3) you can also add presets (4) 188.8.131.52 KeyValue Preset Wizard (Version 2.105 and up))
- Navigate through the tree and select the key (5) and then the values (6) you like to add. (Select as many Key Value pairs as you need in that group. Remember those are combined with a logical AND (7)
- Alternatively you can Search (8) and get a dropdown list to select from.
Delete a group by clicking on the delete button (9).
Start again to add other group by clicking on Add Group (1) button again if needed. For the logical linking (OR or AND) please take a look at chapter 2 at the section of your AdServer.
1.2 Manually add new Key, Preset or Audience Segment
Version 2.110 and up
If you want to use, for example, the same Key two times within a group, you can manually add new lines for Key Values, Presets or Audience Segments. Simply click the arrow button (1) and a list of options appears.
Afterwards a new line will appear at the bottom of your group. To select a Key and Values please click into the field to use a direct search. A list of Keys will appear as dropdown after the click, additionally you can start typing into the field to further narrow down the suggested Keys/Values. Do the same with the values.
This feature can be used to select the same Key multiple times within a group. For one line you can include the Values and for the other you can exclude them. The result will look like this:
1.3 Enter Audience Segments
- Click on the Edit button (2). This opens the tree view on the right. (If you choose key values (3).
- Navigate through the tree and select the audience segment (5) and then the values (6) you like to add. (Select as many Audience Segment pairs as you need in that group. Remember those are combined with a logical AND. For further information about the handling with AppNexus and FreeWheel please take a look at the bottom sections.
- Alternatively you can Search (8) and get a dropdown list to select from.
Start again to add other group by clicking on Add Group (1) button again if needed. For the logical linking (OR or AND) please take a look at chapter 2 at the section of your AdServer.Delete a group by clicking on the delete button (9).
1.4 Search for KeyValues / Presets / Audience Segments
Version 2.107 and up
We added a search tab for the KeyValue Selector and the Audience Segments Selector to spare you a long search through the list.
The screenshot below shows the new tab on the right. In the first picklist - which is by default All - you can select if you want to search in all categories or just in one.
Afterwards please type in the search term. After you have selected your Targeting you can hit the save button to return to the Media Configuration.
1.5 View predefined Key Value Targeting
With the key value generator, it's possible to predefine key value targeting on a Ad Spec or Ad Type level. Those keys and values will be automatically sent to the AdServer. If you set up additional Targeting on your Campaign Item, it will be put in an AND relation to the predefined targeting.
To prevent duplicate or even contradicting Targeting configurations, you are now able to view your predefined Key Value Targeting from Ad Spec or Ad Type also on Campaign Item. In the Targeting selection, we integrated a new tab.
"Item Key Values" will show you the default view, where you can set your Key values and "Inhereted Key Values" will show you what has been set up at Ad Spec and Ad Type, if nothing is predefined, nothing will be shown.
2. Special Logic by Ad Server
2.1 Google Ad Manager (DFP)
For Google Ad Manager (DFP) as known from the UI
- groups are always connected with OR and
- operators within groups are selected as AND.
Audience Segments for Google Ad Manager are treated like Key Values, listed under a pseudo key called 'Audience Segments'. The selection for Key Values and Audience Segments thus behaves exactly the same and is in the same selection tree.
Please note that for AppNexus you get the possibility to change your operators by hitting the buttons. You can either
- connect groups with AND and have the
- operator OR within the groups
- or vice versa.
All buttons will invert when you decide to change one of them. So AND changes to OR and OR changes to AND.
2.3.1 Key Values
When you start to use multiple groups, Freewheel only allows an
- AND operator between groups and an
- OR operator within the groups.
If you only use one single group you can switch, whether the Key Values within that group should be connected via AND or OR.
2.3.2 Audience Segments
|Version ||until 2.112|
ADvendio Versions before 2.113 do not support advanced operator logic for Freewheel Audience Segments. You are only able to include Audience Segments as a list.
- All Audience Segments will be connected via OR.
Exclusion of segments is not supported. If you need the advanced function please ask your administrator to upgrade.
|Version ||2.113 and up|
Starting with version 2.113, ADvendio supports advanced targeting options for Freewheel Audience Segments.
1. You have the option to create up to three different groups of Audience Segments (called sets in Freewheel). Simply click the edit button to add new segments to a group. If you don't need all three groups leave the others empty. They will not be submitted to Freewheel.
2. Use this separate group if you want to exclude segments. Excluded segments are always counted additionally to the other configured segment targeting.
3. You can decide how the segments within a group are connected. They can either all be in a AND relation or in a OR relation. This can be decided for each group seperately
4. Additionally you can switch how the groups are connected to each other.
While using the feature, you've probably noticed, that once you selected some Key Value Targeting and return to the Media Configuration, that the field AdServer Targeting is filled with some code, which you probably won't understand.
This is the technical string, which we're using to manage the configured targeting and also to communicate with our AdServer Gateway. We understand that this might be irritating for your Sales Reps and also that there is currently no way of knowing which Keys and Values have been selected for a Campaign Item, except when you click on the Edit Button. We're currently working on improving the User Experience there and will provide an update for this in early 2020.
However you can still do something, to make the life of your sales reps easier. Please follow these steps:
- Go to your Tab Setup, next to where you show the field AdServer Targeting, please add the field "Targetings > Key Values" and save
- Now go to Tab Rules and create a new Tab Rule. Don't set any Conditions for this rule, but set the field "Targetings > Key Values" to read only
- Save your Tab Rule. Now if you open the Media Configuration, you will see a new field next to AdServer Targeting, which contains a human readable version, of which Key Value / Audience Segments have been selected for your Campaign Item:
Further information on how to manage Tab Setup or Tab Rules can be found here:
184.108.40.206 Tab Setup
220.127.116.11 Tab Rules
3.5.11 Create Ad Price AdServer ID Assignments -> Black/Whitelisting of Targeting Criteria and Key Values for Products